Among the more fun choices:
- Ventriloquism (magically throw your voice)
- Shrink Item (shrink an item by 1/12 size)
- Shatter (create a loud noise that shatters all glass and similarly fragile objects in a 3-foot radius)
- Secret Page (alter the contents of a page of paper to be something entirely different)
- Otto's Irresistible Dance (force a subject to dance)
- Open/Close (open or close anything that is light and unlocked)
- Jump (make someone be able to jump really high)
Possible practical uses against a boss:
- Shrink her greataxe, effectively disarming her.
- Shatter the window next to her, distracting her and forcing her to walk on broken glass if she moves.
- Open the door as she walks past, smacking it into her.
- Force her to dance, rendering her unable to fight.
- Allow the rogue to jump immediately behind her from across the room for a backstab.
@Garrison ... but like, you can actually attack with Shatter...
@nekobakaz I'm going by 3e, which is what I know best. According to it, you can only use Shatter to attack crystaline creatures.
@nekobakaz Looked it up in 5e and you're right there, though
@Garrison yeah, it’s been a long time since I played 3e; Shatter in 5e is a regular spell for my tempest cleric, so I was like “????” :)
@nekobakaz I should have been clear what system I was referring to lol
@Garrison but hmmmm, shrinking weapons....
@nekobakaz an unfortunate barrier to that, which I didn't consider, is that Shrink is a touch spell, so you'd have to run up and grab the enemy's weapon (contested dex check?), but I think it would be hilarious enough to be worth it.
@Garrison ooooooh, i was considering whether my necromancer could take it (cha based wizard/sor with healing spells and special death abilities; i love the build) but she is light armor and squishy
@nekobakaz yeah it would be tough to use effectively in the way i described, but i'm gonna keep pondering how to make it work
@Garrison **cackles** in 5e enlarge/reduce is a ranged spell; can’t target anything carried, but shrinking a creature shrinks their gear, so they deal 1d4 less dmg and have disadvantage on strength checks and throws. Concentration spell though
@nekobakaz Now pondering how/if momentum would be conserved if one were to knock the tiny weapon out of the enemy's hand with a club, say, and per the spell it enlarged back to normal at the very instant it began to fly across the room 🤔
We are an inclusive Mastodon community for everything tabletop (and more). We welcome everyone that wants to be part of the community, boardgamers, RPG players, casual gamers, party gamers, hobbyists, LARPers, game designers and publishers, RPG characters, artists, writers, vlogers, podcasters, reviewers, streamers, lego builders and more. This is meant to be a positive and safe space for people to enjoy each other's ideas, opinion and have fun. To keep tabletop.social that way, the Code of Conduct and Rules will be applied and enforced thoroughly.